Monday, April 19, 2010

Sail, Sail, Sail Away

On Saturday afternoon we got an opportunity to go para sailing for a really great price! We headed to Fido's dock and went out on the boat. Stephanie, Brianna, Jeanne, Natalie, Anna, Tess and I were all very excited to get up in to the air and see all the gorgeous and exciting sea-life. The water was so clear and ice blue and you could see everything underneath you. Everyone else went up with a partner but I wanted to go by myself and just enjoy the peacfulness of the air. The guide strapped me in tight and I was slowly lifted up higher and higher. It was so fun being able to look down at the different fish and sea-life underneath me. When my turn was over the diver slowed the boat down so that I would get dipped down in to the water. I waited as my feet dangled just barely touching the ocean, and it was alot of fun!

The next day our entire group was able to rent a catamaran to take us snorkeling and to another neighboring island called Caye Caulker. We stopped at two different locations to go snorkeling called Hol Chan and Shark Ray Alley. At Hol Chan the guides took us into some really cool spots close to the reef where we saw giant schools of fish that we could reach down and touch, an electric eel, baracudas, huge grooper, monsterous sea turtles, a sea urchin, and one shark. It was so cool to be so close to things that I've only ever had an opportunity to see in pictures. Our next stop to snorkel was Shark Ray Alley. From the boat we could see swarms of humungous sting rays and sharks. As we got in to the water the guides threw out sardines so that the fish, sharks, and sting rays would swarm around us. We didn't stay in for very long because it was a little scarey to be so close to such dangerous animals but it was cool to be able to say I swam with sharks and sting rays. Later we made our way to Caye Caulker. There we ate lunch and walked around and did some shopping. We were only about to stay for a few hours but it was just enough time to see the tiny island in full. We got back to San Pedro well please with all our many adventrues and with a better tan!

No comments:

Post a Comment