Thursday, April 29, 2010

Farewell Belize

The last week in Belize was bitter sweet. I was beginning to miss home and my family quite a bit but I knew that once I left I would miss the island. Our last day, Friday, at the high school was a great day because I got to spend it actually talking to my kids and getting to know them more personally. So many of them came up to me and told me how much they loved having me there and how much they were going to miss me once I left. Two of my 3rd form classes (Juniors) wrote me cards and bought me San Pedro T-Shirts to take home with me to remember them by. It was great to see how much I meant to them. At the end of the day they held an assembly for all the visiting teachers and principle Vasquez spoke to the entire school about how much they appreciated our work and were going to miss us. He asked for each class to come up and present something to their teachers and we all received applause, hugs, and presents. After that we all go the opportunity to say our goodbyes over the microphone and then to individual students afterwards. The assembly really made us all feel like we had made a good impact on the students lives which was wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment