Friday, March 19, 2010

Walking Around San Pedro

Yesterday we walked around the entire island. We visited the three schools that we would be teaching; Ambergrise Caye Elementary, Isla Bonita Elementary, and my personal favorite - San Pedro High School. We started the day off with breakfast at George's restaraunt which was delicious! I had these things called fryps which are kind of like elephant ears without the sugar. We also had fresh fruit and the most wonderful orange juice I've ever tasted! After breakfast we walked to Ambergrise Caye Elementary where we met the principal, a few teachers, and some very excited students. The school was so cute and bright. There they only have about 100 students ranging from 2 years old to 6th grade. In San Pedro there are not middle schools, just primary schools and high schools. When we left the elementary school we walked back to Pedro's Inn. We saw alot of really cool things on the way back. After about an hour break we walked back through town towards San Pedro High. The kids there were so friendly and yelled to us out of the windows of their classrooms. It was really interesting to see how different their school looked from New Hanover. We didn't get to stay very long so I am looking forward to finding out more about that school and those students. We will start there on Monday. We then went to Isla Bonita Elementary but only stayed there very briefly. After our visits to the schools we walked around down town San Pedro and Dr. Kubasko showed us lots of different places to eat and shop that were inexpensive. I have a feeling that I will be spending alot of my time down town. Later that night we all went to dinner together at this place called The Reef. I had Mexican shrimp and ceviche which was delicious. After all the walking and touring around that we did I was unbelievably tired so I went to bed early last night. Today is a free day so I am looking forward to eating fruit and laying out on the beach!

1 comment:

  1. I want to see some pictures!!! Good luck with your teaching... I'm so excited for you as you start this awesome experience :)

    ReplyDelete